Tuesday 25 August 2009

35: My trip to visit the Canadian and why the Cornish argue so much.

Issue 35, autumn 2003

Cornishmen (and women) from across the world, unite…

Such was the cry of the diaspora from Canada when North American cousins of Cornish descent came together to celebrate a bond deeper than blood. It is that very bond that makes us all wonder what is it about Cornwall or the Cornish people that we hold so dear?

Americans and Canadians by birth swear an allegiance to The Duchy as much as they would to their current home and from this I can only deduct that Cornish is a way of being, an understanding if you like without sounding too contrived. I came back from Canada after hearing many talks, speeches, memoirs and musings enthused by the passion and compassion of lovers of Cornwall and Cornish culture at home and abroad.

I would like to thank the readers and supporters of Cornish World for your kind remarks in receiving me as editor and being open to the vision I have for the magazine. In this issue I believe I have taken the publication one step closer to being the true magazine of Cornwall.

Once more, I would like to state that that the magazine belongs to Cornwall and its people and so any notions, viewpoints and submissions are gratefully received.

We do try to keep all of you happy, which is difficult task considering the sometimes belligerent nature of the Cornish which brings me to a little musing I heard recently.

A Cornishman was washed up on a desert island and after some months without sight nor sound of salvation, started to unwillingly settle into his new home. After several years a ship passed and, upon seeing ragged hairy man leaping and waving his arms on the foreshore, came to the rescue.

“My,” said the captain of the vessel after landing on the island. “You’ve done a great job here. You’ve built a farm, a mill, outhouses for the goats, a barn, a shed even a pigsty. I surprised you want to come back.”

“Well, I were getting a bit lonely and ‘e indn’t much fun sharing a pasty by ‘eself,” replied the Cornishman.

“But, prey tell me,” enquired the captain. “Why have you built two chapels?”

“Well,” said the Cornishman. “That one over there by Trelowarren Street is the one I do go to, and the chapel over there is the one I don’t!”

However, genuine that tale is the Cornish do get on when they meet up and I trust that the Cornish will keep meeting up – at home and abroad – to rejoice in what they love most dearly.

Before I end, it seems to be a tradition that editors in their letters talk about the weather.

It’s sunny here. Has been for weeks, probably will be for weeks to come.

Thank you for your time…

Nigel Pengelly,
Editor editor@cornishworldmagazine.co.uk
www.cornishworldmagazine.co.uk
Pictured: former Grand Bard John Bolitho and the Lady of the Flowers at the Bardic procession, 12th Cornish Gathering, Bowmanville, Canada.

0 comments:

Post a Comment